Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Prayer For Marriage



Fr. Jeremy Taylor (1613-1667) included this prayer in his book "Rules of Holy Living".
May God bless you.
Fr. Tim Doubblestein MSJ

O eternal and gracious Father, who hast consecrated the estate of marriage to become mysterious, and to represent the union of Christ and his church, let Thy holy Spirit so guide me in the doing the duties of this state that it may not become a sin unto me, nor that liberty which Thou hast allowed by Thy holy Jesus become an occasion of licentiousness by my own weakness and sensuality; and do Thou forgive all those irregularities and too sensual applications which may have in any degree discomposed my spirit and the severity of a Christian. Let me in all accidents and circumstances be severe in my duty towards Thee, affectionate and dear towards my wife [or husband], a guide and a good example to my family, and in all quietness, sobriety, prudence and peace, a follower of those holy pairs who have served Thee with godliness and a good testimony. And the blessings of the eternal God, blessings of the right hand and of the left, be upon the body and soul of Thy servant my wife [or husband], and abide upon her [or him] till the end of a holy and happy life; and grant that both of us may live together for ever in the embraces of the holy and eternal Jesus, our Lord and Savior. Amen.

1 comment:

Fr. Tim Doubblestein said...

The beauty of Jeremy Taylor's theology of the Sacrament of Matrimony can really be viewed in his sermon "The Marriage Ring" (http://www.prnd.ca/PRNDmarriagetaylor.html).

Contact Information

11195 S. Grayling Rd.
Roscommon, MI 48653

Telephone: 586-264-6044
msjanglican "at" yahoo.com