Tuesday, November 13, 2007

New Favorite Hymn


Ok, so it isn't new, but it is new to me. Last week, while at Nashotah House, the evening high mass was packed out and the Nashotah Hymn was sung with rafter rattling gusto. I was moved and maybe it was because I was seated directly next to the organist, who also happens to be the contributing composer of this hymn, but this hymn will live on in my heart for a very long time. +Frederick G. Fick

Here is a link for an mp3
http://www.nashotah.edu/audio/Nashotah_Hymn24bit.mp3

Here is the text to sing along.


1. Firmly I believe and truly
God is three, and God is One;
And I next acknowledge duly
Manhood taken by the Son.

Refrain:
Sanctus fortis, Sanctus Deus,
de profundis oro te,
Miserere, judex meus,
parce mihi Domine.

2. And I trust and hope most fully
In that Manhood crucified;
And each thought and deed unruly
Do to death, as He has died.

3. Simply to His grace and wholly
Light and life and strength belong,
And I love, supremely, solely,
Him the holy, Him the strong.

4. And I hold in veneration,
For the love of Him alone,
Holy Church, as His creation,
And her teachings as His own.

5. Adoration ay be given,
With and through the angelic host,
To the God of earth and heaven,
Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

Paraphrase of the Refrain:
Holy mighty, Holy God,
from the depths I beseech thee,
have mercy, O my judge,
spare me, O Lord.

Text from The Dream of Gerontius
John Henry Newman, 1801-1890

1 comment:

stlouismb said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Contact Information

11195 S. Grayling Rd.
Roscommon, MI 48653

Telephone: 586-264-6044
msjanglican "at" yahoo.com